Sunday, June 9, 2013

Writing Prompts

I took some cool pictures on vacation that I thought I would share.  Next time your kids tell you that they don't know what to write about in their summer journals (you can make one by giving your child a spiral bound journal or a composition notebook and letting them decorate the front!) just pull up this little blog post and let them use the pictures to make up a funny story about what Ms. Arrendale did on summer vacation!  I hope you enjoy looking at these with your child.  Make sure you talk to them about the importance of having a beginning, middle and end of the story, adding details, using their best printing. using punctuation at the end of their sentences, capitalizing the first word in their sentences and using finger spaces between words!

 

Ms. Arrendale found this really big chair at the beach.  Can you make up a story about where this chair came from and who would use a chair this enormous?





After the big storm (Tropical Storm Andrea) came through the Outer Banks I found all of these shells washed up on the shore.  What would you do if you were at the beach and found all of these shells.  Write a story and I will show you the shells I brought back with me from vacation!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

While I was at the beach they were having a kit flying competition.  They had kites made to look like sea animals.  Have you ever flown a kite?  You could write a story telling someone who has never flown a kite how to do it step by step. 

 
 
 
 



The first picture in this series shows the ocean when I first arrived for vacation.  The rest of the pictures shows what the ocean looked like when Tropical Storm Andria came on shore.  The wind was howling and blowing the sand up into the air.  The waves were crashing angrily against the shore.  When I put my feet into the water I could feel the water sucking the sand out from beneath my feet.  I was mesmerized watching the force of the storm, feeling the wind in my hair, the salty taste of sea water on my lips and hearing the waves crashing against the sand.  Did you notice the words I used when I was writing about my experience?  Try using words to describe how things sound, feel, taste and look when you are writing in your journal this summer.  I can't wait to read your stories this fall when you come back to school!